It’s that time of year again when the nights are drawing in and it definitely feels like Autumn’s in full swing. For me, Autumn is the most difficult season to find ways of keeping myself feeling happy and upbeat. Sometimes, the simplest things can make your day just that bit better. Here are ten reminders of ways to help you stay feeling good throughout the Autumn, and remember, Christmas really isn’t that far away!
1. Healthy snacks – Healthy nibbles such as fruit (especially berries), raw veggies and nuts are full of antioxidants and will help to boost your immune system (and keep away the coughs and colds). Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants too and it’s a great alternative to milk chocolate, biscuits and cakes.
2. Sugar – Cutting out refined sugar as much as you can should help you avoid mood swings that sugar highs and lows can cause. Eating more unrefined foods will help keep your energy levels up and make you feel like you’re ready to take on the day.
3. Drink water – It sounds obvious, but with our busy lives it can be hard to remember to drink enough water throughout the day. Staying hydrated will help keep headaches at bay and may even curb those sugar cravings. Mix in some slices of lemon or lime if you prefer flavoured water.
4. Exercise – Whether you like it or not, exercise has been proven to make people happier! Try exercising with friends and make it a social occasion, or simply take a walk in the fresh air (especially when it’s sunny) – it’s a great way of clearing your head.
5. Cardio – Cycling, jogging or swimming will get the blood pumping round your body and help you to stay energised from day to day. If you have good cardio fitness, you’ll find everyday tasks easier to manage.
6. Love your skin – Central heating will dry out your skin quickly, so it’s good to make sure you moisturise regularly at this time of year. Treat your skin to a moisturising face mask to keep it nourished and feeling fresh. Keep your skin topped up with a self tan lotion to maintain a healthy glow.
7. Positivity – Getting rid of negative thoughts and trying to see the positive in every situation is one of the best ways to stay feeling happy. If it helps, write down all the things that you’re grateful for at the moment or all your recent positive memories; there might be more than you think!
8. Relax – It can be hard to switch off from work or social media, but we all need time to ourselves every so often. Try not to look at your phone or work emails when you’re ready to relax. Instead, try reading a book or listening to music.
9. Bubble bath – At the end of the day, run a hot bubble bath, light a scented candle and lay back and chill for a while – so much more relaxing than taking a quick shower!
10. Sleep – I have to say, I’m not a morning person, and I need a good night’s sleep to be ready for the next day. Feeling tired when you need to get things done is the worst, so by getting as much sleep as you can, you’ll feel a lot better about your day ahead!